Monday 25 January 2010

a quick recap

I realize I haven't written for a couple of days, very bad since I'm trying to write everyday.  So here's what's been happening the last couple of days.

My camera's been broken and I have sent it off to a place in Tunbridge Wells to have it fixed.  It got me thinking, maybe I should buy a digital SLR so I can take better pictures and put them on my blog because as you know, a poor craftsman blames his tools.  We  have a friend coming to visit from NY in a couple of weeks so I thought if I can make a decision quickly, I can have one shipped from B and H, a wonderful shop in NYC and ask him to bring it over.  So I called the only person I could think of who might be able to help me and she very generously offered to have me over to talk to me.  Now, I don't really know this person very well so I was really touched by her generosity.  She showed me her camera, we took some photos of a roast chicken that was going to be their dinner and compared automatic settings and manual settings on a SLR and point and shoot.  The conclusion we reached was that for the purposes of the web, the point and shoot was fine for me.  I think she just save me masses of money.  So now the only thing I have to do is wait for my camera to come back and buy a tripod.  Yaay.  Oh yeah and learn to use my camera that I've had for 3 years.

So we start chatting and I am telling her I want to photograph my food and start teaching classes and she tells me about pop up restaurants that have become very popular in London.  For those of you that don't know, it is a dinner in a non restaurant location where strangers will pay to come eat your food.  I gather they are in people's living rooms and cool spaces to which they have access.  She was very enthusiastic about that and offering to help and I am going to give it some serious thought.  We have a space that's big enough to accomodate probably 12 people, but I've never cooked for that many before.  But the wheels have started turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment