Tuesday 2 February 2010

My goodness how time flies

I can't believe it's February already and over a week since I posted anything.  I am still waiting for my camera to return from it's little holiday in Tunbridge Wells, hopefully it will be as good as new.

I've finally decided to start my classes in April.  Right now, I am working on a structure but I am hoping to do two nights a week of quick one dish supper kind of classes 1.5-2 hours and a longer class on Saturday consisting of more dishes.  I've made up some flavoured soy sauces which really add instant Japanese flavour to any dish.  Here is the one I use all the time.

Bonito Flavoured Soy Sauce
2 cups light soy sauce
1 cup mirin
40g bonito flakes

Combine the light soy sauce and mirin in a saucepan.  Let it come to the boil then add bonito flakes.  When it returns to the boil, turn it off.  Wait for the flakes to settle to the bottom, then strain into a jar.  Keep in the fridge.

My favourite thing to do with it right now is to put it in my omelets.  Don't put cheese in it because that would be weird but any veggie meat combo will do.  Bacon, mushrooms and onion with a dash of the soy sauce for flavouring and it becomes a great thing to eat with rice.  Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment