Thursday 21 January 2010

the wisdom of space planning

This is the first place I have lived where I have had any input into the design of the space.  Like most people, we move into an existing space and work with what's already there.  But as we nearly stripped out the space we are in and redesigned the space, I now live in a place that suits me and my stuff.

As I am hoping to teach from my kitchen, the kitchen layout was very important.  Considering I wasn't sure what I was doing, it turned out really well.  It is purely by accident since I thought the space would end up to be much bigger and I was very disappointed with the way it turned out.  However, now that I have moved in and started using it, the space works really well.  I am short so I did away with hanging cabinets.  I don't like them visually and they are also very impractical when you are 5'1".  Instead, I have drawers underneath counters holding all my kitchen equipment.  I also have three tall cabinets which hold my larder and spices.  The two things I insisted on were a heavy duty stove and large fridge.  They both dominate the kitchen, but I get so much use out of them that it doesn't matter.  Here's what it looks like.  Well, here was supposed to be a picture of my kitchen but my camera is on the fritz so the photo will have to wait until the camera comes back from the shop.  Anyway, off to make dinner, chawan mushi, a savoury egg custard, stewed daikon, rice and leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment