Saturday 27 February 2010

muffins

I gave up eating wheat about 10 months ago.  It started as a lose weight or buy bigger clothes crisis.  I eliminated alcohol, sugar, dairy, wheat and caffeine for a month.  Now it's not as drastic as it sounds because I am lactose intolerant so gave up dairy awhile back, although I had discovered I could eat high fat ice cream so that was very much part of my diet, I don't have a coffee or tea habit and I really don't drink alcohol that much.  The sugar and the wheat were two huge things for me since I had multiple helpings of both in a day.  What I discovered after a month was not only the weight loss (to be fair, I did go back to exercising after 8 years off) but that all the stomach things that I just took for granted disappeared.  My stomach was just plain flatter and I had more energy.  So ever since, I have stayed away as much as possible.  I don't do white or brown sugar, I am reasonable about it, if I go out and it is in my food, I will of course eat it.  It just isn't part of my regular diet anymore.  So what to do about muffins and bread?  I have discovered a spelt loaf which is pretty close to wheat bread, I can slice it and make sandwiches with it.  You do get tired of eating the good but chewy 100% rye after awhile.  I'm still in search of the perfect muffin recipe.  I made a batch today, which were ok, I think some tweaking and it could be a whole lot better.  I must say, the biggest fault lay with me, not the recipe because I over mixed.  But it was a good excuse to practice with the camera so here is a photo.


Of course they will get eaten, but I will wait for the next batch and see if my tweaking paid off before I publish the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment