Sunday 2 May 2010

A different dining experience

We went out to dinner this evening.  It was at the home of a woman we'd never met.  It was our first experience with the underground gourmet movement.  Our friends C and E suggested we try this out.  The way it works is, you sign up and pay online, you are sent the address of the venue, you turn up and they feed you.  Once you get there, you find out what's on the menu.  It was lots of fun, we met some lovely people and had a really good time.  The food was all really delicious, it's amazing that she was able to cook for 35-40 people on her Aga and do it well.  It was an around the world menu, starting with pasta, with a mains of Thai and ending with kulfi.  Somehow it all worked together and tasted great.  I can't imagine the work that went into it.  But the end result was very professional and well organised.  They had a rice cooker malfunction but managed to cope with style.
We are going to see whose house we can go to next.  Thanks C and E for a lovely evening.

I changed the photo on top, is it creepy?  Should I got back to the other one?   I would love some of your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. I love the photo at the top of the blog page. Not creepy at all!
    katiegateswrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really fun and interesting experience! There are people who do dinners like this in NY, too (in Brooklyn, I think). I keep hearing about them on NPR, but have never actually tried to find & reserve a place at one of these dinners. Maybe I should!

    By the way, I never saw the other photo, but I don't think this one is creepy at all; I think it's rather artsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jane, the other photo was from a shrine in Japan that I visited, great photo but not much to do with me or food. There's a network here for underground restaurants, maybe there's one in the states too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hiromi I've only just seen this. Thanks so much, I'm really glad you enjoyed it.
    x

    ReplyDelete