Wednesday 19 May 2010

Flying??

Flying has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.  According to my mom, we were flying from Tokyo to Osaka to visit relatives before I could walk.  Then the back and forth of being an expat kid followed by college in NY/ parents in Japan and my own nomadic life has meant that the way I see family is by first taking a very long plane ride.  But all of a sudden, what I took for granted is no longer a sure thing.  The volcanic ash didn't affect me in the first round of chaos except in the happy form of seeing friends I would otherwise not have seen, but now it may keep me from seeing my family this summer.  Add to this the fact that hubby is about to start a commuting life involving planes and I am wondering what will happen.  I had to break the news to my mom this morning that we may not see them this summer.  We've been getting together like this for a long time now, it's the one opportunity my parents have to see all the grand kids together.  As both my parents and the kids get older, I cherish every year thinking this may be our last year, as parents become slightly less mobile and kids develop more independent lives.  I hope the ash clears soon and then my only worry will be where to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment