Thursday 6 May 2010

Improv 101

A new class today, my first class teaching veggies.  I went for the more classic dishes figuring that there will be time later for the variations and the fusion things.  So on the menu this evening was a spinach dish that I think most restaurants call spinach bundles because what else are you supposed to call them?  Anyway, it only works if you get spinach with stems and bottoms, not the leaves in bags you get in the supermarket.  So off I went to Chapel Market this morning to the veggie stall where just 2 weeks ago, I had purchased gorgeous bunches of spinach.  No spinach?!  Now I know nothing about the growing cycle of spinach, but none of the other stalls had it either, leading me to conclude that this is an off week for spinach.  What we had this week were some gorgeous asparagus.  So I bought some of that and am doing a dish with similar flavourings as the spinach dish.  Of course I had printed out the recipe already, so I had to come home and print the asparagus recipe and swap it around.  To make matters more interesting, I am also doing a tofu dish.  Well, the recipe I worked out uses the Cauldron tofu.  I should have known when I bought the last two packages last week that something was up.  They have repackaged their brand and the tofu no longer comes in the same weight it used to.  Not only that, they only had one package left at Waitrose, not nearly enough for what I need.  So I went to the Asian food store in Chapel Market and bought what looks like the largest block of tofu I have ever seen.  Crisis narrowly averted but I do wish people wouldn't go and change weights when they repackage, most inconvenient.  All this and class hasn't even started.  Not to mention the excitement of having the fridge stop working for a couple of hours last night.  As my friend A says, "mercury in retrograde".  Hope it's over soon.

1 comment:

  1. Bob and I were lucky enough to be there for the meat class last evening...yum, yum, yum. Again such interesting and fresh combinations of flavours leaving you feeling amazingly satisfied without feeling stuffed. And again, Hiromi made it look so easy! Am so looking forward to the next class!!

    ReplyDelete