Monday 3 May 2010

A small ritual

May 5 is Boys' Day in Japan.  It is a day when various good luck items are displayed in the hopes that the boys will grow up to be healthy and prosperous.  Even though my boy is almost 18, I thought I would put his display up today.  My parents bought this for him when he was born and from the leaflet that came along with the set (because how would I know what goes where without it) it is traditionally something that the wife's family does for the boy.  According to the literature, I was supposed to have put it out mid April and it really needs to be put away mid May at the latest.  Well, I'm going to take some liberties and leave it out for the month of May so that all my students who come for class can see it.

As you can see from the photo, it is a helmet, sword, bow and arrow.  There are more elaborate ones involving the entire suit of armour, but my mom liked the simplicity of the helmet and the workmanship.  These items are meant to defend the boy against accidents, illness and other misfortunes on the road to growing up.  Maybe it will bring good luck for my son on his A levels, you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment