Sunday 25 April 2010

Weekend round up


It was a mixed bag, weather wise this weekend, but the temperature was mild and everything is in full bloom as my eyes and nose can attest.

We achieved a monumental task on Saturday, we bought a sofabed.  Now for one reason or another, I have been shopping for a sofa bed on and off for about 3 years.  I've been close a couple of times especially around Christmas last year, but couldn't commit.  I had fallen in love with a sofa bed (if such a thing is possible) at Habitat last year.  It was a big velvet affair that just enveloped you as you sat down.  But it was over budget and so I had to lust after it from afar, until this weekend when for some bizarre reason, hubby got a friends and family discount coupon in the post.  This put it within range and so off we went.  Well velvet on a gorgeous April day is just not the same as velvet on a cold October day and once again, I was stumped.  Especially when right across from it was a sleek (for us) modern sofa that would have fit in with the feel of the flat.  We must have sat there for 30 minutes, debating one over the other and finally gave up and came home. There, tape measure in hand, we tried to visualize what the two would look like in the space we had.  In the end, we decided on the velvet monster which visually may not be the best thing for the flat, but made me happy.   But then, what colour?  Well, we had forgotten to ask for swatches so back we went where we finally committed and paid for it.  Hooray!!  Now of course, we have to wait for them to make it, so sometime before they close the factory for the summer, I am hoping they get to our sofa.

This weekend was labelled King's Cross Reveal and there were meant to be all kinds of events occurring around Kings Cross to highlight the history and the changes taking place.  For obvious reasons, we didn't do a thing yesterday so today, we tried to go to two photo exhibitions.  Well, they were both closed.  Unbelievable.  We only had to walk to get there, I wonder how many people went to some trouble and expense to get there.  Since we were out anyway, we walked along the canal to come home.  There is one stretch of the canal right near us where it is very green and looks quite rural unless you look at what's behind it.  Here are some photos of our walk.














I managed to finish my translations which is good, I am now starting my annual hunt for a place to stay this summer, which I usually start in February so I am very late.  I also hope to put up a schedule for my next round of lessons, so a very productive and fun weekend comes to an end.

Well, not quite.  We went out this evening for yet another attempt to see the King's Cross Reveal.  This time, though we were rewarded for our perseverance.  They lit up a part of the canal and it was really eerie and cool.  Here are two more photos.




And now my day is truly done, good night.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos of the canal, Hiromi! They remind me of one vacation my husband and I took some years back. Makoto and I went down in one of the barges, where we had to unlock and lock each time with me usually doing the steering, only after I had slipped and almost sprained my ankle in the morning due to dew on the grass by the canal when I jumped down trying to dock. I told my husband that this was no vacation but pure physical labor. Only boon was I did not have to cook at all for some days! If I had known you then, I could have come in for one of your gorgeous Japanese meals you teach! Ann in Tokyo

    ReplyDelete