Saturday 10 April 2010

Unexpected guests

We had some very good friends over for dinner last night. It was only firmed up Friday early afternoon so I had to find something to make out of what was in the fridge.  Fortunately, my fridge is pretty well stocked at the moment so I managed to produce a nice dinner if I do say so myself.  And of course as is the case with every other meal I have made for company, I failed to take photos.  But here is the menu; tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet), miso soup, rice and an avocado and cucumber side dish.  The avocado and cucumber is a dish that can be served tapas style with drinks or as a hashi yasume, literally chopstick rest, a dish to pick at during your dinner.  It is traditionally served cold and is most often pickles, but I thought, why not, try it with this.  Ultra quick and simple to make, here's the recipe.

Avocado and cucmber salty namuru (adapted from Organic Recipe Notebook by Tomoko Shoji)
1 avocado
1 cucumber (you want to end up with about the same amount of avocado and cucumber so pick accordingly)
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp sale
1 1/2 Tbp rice vinegar
1 clove garlic grated
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 sheet nori

Hit the cucumber with a rolling pin and break into bite size pieces with your hands.  If you use a long european cucmber, it is better to remove the seeds.  Cut the avocado into cubes

Combine the seasonings from sesame oil to sesame seeds and mix with the cucumber and avocado.

Crumple the nori into the mix, stir and refrigerate.

As I am writing this recipe, I realize I had totally forgotten to add nori last night.  Oops, sorry R and M, but it was still very tasty, don't you think?

Oh and by the way, the nuts I was roasting the other day?  It turned out really well, and it is definitely something I will be doing again.

2 comments:

  1. Why do you hit the cucumber? Does that "pickle" it? At the chocolatier, I hit the molds to get the chocolate out - it is quite a racket and everyone starts yelling in the kitchen to be heard. Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to hit the cucumber to break it up, tearing it by hand makes for uneven surfaces which absorb the dressing better.

    ReplyDelete