Thursday 8 April 2010

Practice makes perfect

Now that I have a date to start my cooking class, I have been cooking like mad, well for me anyway. I made rice in a pot yesterday, I usually just use a rice cooker but thought it would be good thing to test out to make sure the method works. It did but the problem with rice cooked in a pot is that it doesn't stay hot. So I ended up making onigiri(rice balls). Somehow, onigiri is fine eaten room temperature whereas the exact same quantity of rice in a rice bowl simply isn't appetising. It may have to do with the connotations of onigiri, which is usually a portable lunch, so it brings back memories of outings and school trips. You will see from the photo that it is "naked". I couldn't find the open bag of nori, I know I put it away, but where, I couldn't tell you. I did find a bunch of other things I forgot I owned, but I digress. In keeping with the outing theme, the rolled cooked egg is another staple. So after I made the onigiri, of course I had to make the egg. The salmon in the fridge needed eating so it became teriyaki. Then I did a mushroom in batter thing which turned out to be incredibly good and so simple. Anyway, here is the photo, I ate way too much and think I need to recruit more people to eat my food, especially meat eaters. Any volunteers?

4 comments:

  1. I'd volunteer in a heartbeat if i lived anywhere near you - or even in the same country!! It all sounds yummy and I love your photos - they trigger so many memories.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Emma, I wish you were closer too. The next time you are in London, I promise you a proper cooked meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo, Hiromi! I dug out the old Nishimachi cookbook from the Food Fair - good memories. One of my favorite simple recipes in that cookbook is the cabbage salad which would go well with your meal. Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use that cookbook all the time for the conversions. I'll have a look at the recipes again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete