Tuesday 6 July 2010

Beginnings and endings

Looking back on the first half of this year (okay, it's a little over half) I've noticed that this year has been full of beginnings and endings.  I thought I would recap some of them to see if I can see a pattern.

Hubby took a job in another country, thus ending a period of self employment.  It is also the beginning of a commuting marriage although so far he's doing most of the commuting.  It is only a 1 hour time difference but still makes communicating a bit tricky.  

I started teaching cooking classes at home which signals the end of many years of raising children and thinking up crazy schemes.  It turns out that the simplest idea is the easiest to launch, go figure.  

Because I am such a great time waster, I have also started doing translating work.  The deadlines force me to plan my time, something of an alien concept for me.

My son graduated from senior school, or high school to those outside the UK.  We went to the ceremony, got a glimpse of what his life has been like the last 5 years and loved that he has made such great friends.  He is home now for a gap year after having been away at school.  I'm sure this will take some adjusting on both sides, but I am looking forward to it. 

My daughter finished her first year at uni and is moving into a house for the autumn.  She will really have an address that has nothing to do with home.  

I began a new exercise regime.  Now this is brand new.  I had joined a gym last year when I overhauled my eating to get into shape.  I was lucky enough to meet up with a great personal trainer who really knew his stuff.  But the gym itself wasn't great and it became harder to get to once we moved.  I realized that for the last couple of months I was only going to the gym to see him.  So it was a waste from both a financial and fitness perspective.  Then a new gym opened in my neighbourhood.  I had been watching it being built for months, since it is so close to my flat.  But when I told my son it said it was a mixed martial arts gym, he said to me, "that's cage fighting, mom".  Well that didn't seem at all like the kind of place I belonged.  But when they finally opened, I went on their website and saw they had classes for women.  I 
e mailed them basically saying that I am a 51 year old female, is this the gym for me figuring I would either get no reply or a polite this is for hard core athletes kind of answer.  Instead, I got a very friendly e mail back inviting me to come down and have a look around.  
To make a long story short, I went, I saw and I took my first boxing class.  It was lots of fun, the instructor was very patient and nice and made sure I was doing things correctly.  Everyone on staff has been really nice too.  Now I have no interest in doing any mixed martial arts, but I understand how the training could be really beneficial even for someone who doesn't want to stomp on the other guy.  Since all the classes are included in the membership, I plan to take advantage of it as long as my body holds out.  Who knows, I may finally shed some of the fat that's been covering my muscles for decades.

So I guess it's a big transition year for me, this blog is a new thing too.  I've been in contact with lots of different people through this blog and am following some truly fun blogs.  There are lots of talented people out there.

I hope the rest of the year is as action packed as the first half.  Stay tuned.


2 comments:

  1. Hiromi, what a great recap and what a wonderful idea to reflect at the mid-year point. We'd probably all benefit from this kind of looking back. Our lives are often more dynamic than we realize. It sounds like yours has certainly been full of change -- the type that keeps one alive and feeling young! Happy mid-year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Katie. I didn't realize until I wrote it exactly how much had happened this year. It is keeping me on my toes.

    ReplyDelete