Monday 19 July 2010

Teething pains

I have been wanting to consolidate my cooking and blogging under one roof for awhile now.  It was also recommended that I buy my own domain and pay for hosting.  That was the easy part.  So now what?  I managed to get my posts moved over, come up with some tabs, decided there should be a tab on translating as long as I'm at it, then the problems started.  It turns out that if you have a non methodical mind, these things are very hard to comprehend, let alone navigate.  Who said this blogging software was easy and anyone could do it?  I couldn't figure out how to add photos, I could upload them, but the same stupid tree that came with the template just wouldn't leave.  And that was just the beginning.

So I decided that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay someone.  Now for those of you who've read my Scammed Again post know that paying people online has not worked out that well for me lately.  So an anxious few days ensued when I realized that I was going to have to pay this so far very reasonable and friendly person my internet budget.  It seems to have worked out, and I think we are on our way.

What this whole exercise has made me realize is that I am heading towards branding myself.  Now, I've heard all that talk about personal branding and I always thought it was hooey.  But, now it is starting to make sense to bring all the different things together under one label.  Maybe there should be a tab for Dress for Success?  I have volunteered there for 4 years and it is very much a part of my life.  While I don't think that I need to share my entire life with the internet world, maybe there's information that I can share which would be of actual interest to people.

I'm planning to give it some thought over my holiday and hopefully come up with some decent content.  I need to work out a schedule for my autumn classes and maybe even do a bit of marketing.

My next post will probably be about what a relaxing time I'm having.  Fingers crossed.

Oh, by the way, I just signed up to participate in the second Underground Gourmet farmer's market. in September.  I will be doing a demonstration and potentially selling some stuff.  I think I took a monumental step doing this, but as with most of my decisions, I didn't think that much about it, it felt right.  So I hope everything comes together, I'm not sure I have any time to be lounging around on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment