Monday 28 June 2010

Me and my computer






I am sitting in front of my computer for the first time since Friday evening.  Now, that may not seem like a long time for you but it is ages for me.  If I am home, I am never far from my computer. It's not that I get that many e mails or have that much to research, but there always seems to be something I can do.  Let's face it, it's a habit.  So on Friday evening, when a computer whiz suggested that I needed to reload my operating system, I blithely said yes without really thinking through the consequences.  Well, what followed was about 36 hours of being without a computer, more accurately, the internet while hubby figured out where the wireless modem was which is supposed to be there at start up.  

On Friday evening, I was seriously stressed out about it, thinking about all the things that I had forgotten to back up before he blew up my computer.  Then, I thought, it's a brand new start.  Do I really need the 5 years worth of data and other programmes that I no longer run on my computer?  So I just decided to approach this as having gotten a brand new machine and instantly felt better.  

I have an online back up system which I have yet to access so I'm not sure that my data is all recoverable.  But I have already learned that what I thought was absolutely essential for my computing life turns out not to be.  Just old patterns that were familiar and therefore felt essential.  

I'm sure there are many aspects of my life to which I can apply the same principle.  Hmm, I wonder what I should blow up next?

2 comments:

  1. love it hiromi, let's get those molotovs going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martha, far less drastic but just as important, I think my desk is next.

    ReplyDelete