Tuesday 13 July 2010

A great weekend

The kids and I went to Prague to visit hubby last weekend.  He's been there for about a month now, lured by an interesting new job and a chance to live in a new city, and  I thought I was the one with the wanderlust.  I've stayed behind in London and so began our commuting marriage.  With a daughter at uni and a son just graduated high school, I feel like our days of family trips are numbered.  And so it was that the four of us had a wonderful weekend in the blazing heat of Prague, exploring and discovering a new place together.

We walked 10km on Saturday, just seeing the sights.  Prague is a small enough city so that it is easy to get around on foot in the touristy parts.  We climbed the 208 steps up to Prague castle, toured the cathedral and bought the most expensive bottles of water ever.  I took some arty shots of the cathedral, here is one.




No holiday for us is complete without lots of eating, and this was no exception.  We tried local Czech cuisine, a little hearty in 30 degree heat but still great, Chinese, Italian and even Mexican (I opted to sleep and skipped that expedition).

But mostly we enjoyed spending time with each other.  I am so proud of my kids, how they noticed and appreciated the gorgeous architecture, the enthusiasm they showed for getting to know a new city and the ability to embrace new experiences.  They have matured into thoughtful interesting young people and I love knowing them.  Okay, enough mom gushing, I'll talk about something else now.

All too soon, we were back at the airport, saying good bye to hubby/dad.  We'll all be together again in 2 weeks time, in a different city.

2 comments:

  1. Hiromi, I love this statement: "They have matured into thoughtful interesting young people and I love knowing them." For those of us who've not created [biological] family, I encourage you to count your lucky stars! You are most-blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie, I do feel blessed most of the time, and sometimes they behave like children which reminds me my job may not be quite done yet.

    ReplyDelete