Saturday 31 July 2010

Recharging batteries

Every year, my family meets up in Hawaii.  We have been getting together like this probably for the better part of 20 years.  My kids have gotten to know their cousins even though we have never lived close by.  My parents get to see all the grand kids at the same time and I get to spend time in a place I love.  I have also had the pleasure of seeing my nephews grow up into thoughtful, funny people who are also great athletes. 

When I was younger and the kids were little, the entire vacation was spent "doing".  We'd have activities for the kids, pool, beach, museum, something to keep them occupied as well as the futile attempts to get them to nap.  My parents were younger too so came with us on a lot of the outings.  Then everyone got a little older and the pace slowed, there was less activity, kids wanted to sleep all the time and my parents wanted to sit more.

I think this year, we may have entered a new phase.  The kids are grown ups now, capable of doing things on their own and familiar enough with the city that I don't worry.  Their cousin drives too, which adds a whole new dimension to their activity.  

For me, it's been a welcome change from the extremely hectic life I lead at home.  There's nothing to do but hang out and enjoy my family.  Of course it is a multi generational family vacation, there are tensions and a fair amount of negotiating and coordinating before things happen, but I think our days of getting together like this are numbered as the children begin their lives away from us and my parents become less mobile.  

So I grab a little me time before anyone wakes up and go walking on the beach.  Then the rest of the day unfolds in a leisurely fashion, where does the time go?  Before you know it, it will be time to go home and resume my life. I hope to remember with gratitude the warmth, fun and aggravation that is my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment