Thursday 17 June 2010

When friendships die

It's a sad day when you realize that the person whom you thought was a good friend turns out to be secretly harbouring resentment towards you.  You may think you're getting along great but if you listen closely to that little voice in your head, you know there's a quality to the relationship, a tension that doesn't exist in your other friendships.  It's that feeling that even though it seems like she is being agreeable,  somehow you need to tiptoe around her feelings.  Sometimes the friendship just explodes when the resentment comes pouring out of the other person and you are left absolutely stunned.  At other times, it just fades quietly away, as if both parties acknowledge that neither one of you can keep up the charade any more.  Either way, it is puzzling, hurtful and not a nice experience.  You think to yourself, "How could I have been such a bad judge of character?  Were there signs I missed?".

From speaking with friends for whom this has happened and my personal experience, I've concluded that very often it is envy that is at the root of this evil.  The very thing about you that attracted the other person to you and wanted them to make you a friend, superficial things like the way you look, the people you know, a fun life, turns out to be the thing that they think they are missing.  So they live vicariously through you for awhile and then the frustrations mount because you are living the life they want.  Of course, you don't realize any of this, you only notice that as time goes on, you find yourself watching what you say around them and steering clear of some topics because it tends to upset them.  As you don't actually think your life is so charmed that someone else would covet it anyway  it doesn't occur to you that, that may be the case until too late.  Another scenario is they meet you when you are at a particular down period in your life.  They come in, comforting, offering a shoulder to cry on and are so supportive, but as you slowly rebuild your life and become who you used to be, or you evolve into someone much stronger and self sufficient, they can't handle the shift in the relationship.

Is this something that only happens to women?  Do men have friendships like this?  Of course not all friendships end due to some unnamed resentment.  Some are meant to just be temporary, to share some common experiences and then move on.  The key is to distinguish between the intense but short friendships and the low key rest of your life ones.  Easier said than done I think, much like most of life.

13 comments:

  1. I hear you, Hiromi, and this is very, very well written. No, it's not only women. My husband saw the end of a 30-year friendship last year. Along the way, there were hints (and more than hints!) that this so-called friend was a major loser and jealous (I thought) of his talent. Sure enough, the truth finally came out. My husband was really shaken, though not surprised. He does not have that many friends and treasures his friendships, so this hit hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always Hiromi, wonderfully written - and so true. As I read your words I was taken back to a time when I too was in a similar situation and was hurt deeply because of it. It dawned on me that one of the qualities she was drawn to was the lack of that deep rooted bitterness which comes from resentment. I also wonder if this only happens to women. I kind of suspect not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS - BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT IT
    HURTS RIGHT? THIS IS SOMEONE YOU CARED ABOUT...
    YOU ARE SUCH A GOOD WRITER HIROMI - THANK YOU FOR
    PUTTING THOSE FEELINGS INTO BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN WORDS. WAITING FOR YOU IN ALOHA - COMING?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words. I guess it's something we have all experienced at one time or other. The great friends I have now are the result of going through loss, you just need to keep looking for that silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for an interesting entry. As I get older, I do think about relationships more - are they harder to maintain? Or am I thinking too much? Anyway, I am glad to have your friendship. Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this post, thanks hiromi. a few months ago a friend "broke up" with me -- it was really painful and felt a lot like being dumped by a partner. while i agree a lot of people lose friendships because of jealously, i don't think they all do -- i'm pretty certain my friend wasn't jealous. she had just emerged from a very bad time financially and emotionally, sported a good new job and was feeling much better about how she looked. because i supported her during the bad times, i think i came to represent the dark time in her life, something she didn't want to be reminded of. the lesson i've learned is cherish your true friends.
    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Hiromi, and such a loaded topic! There are so many reasons friendships end outright or diminish to a level of cautious communication. I feel like I've experienced all the possibilities there, and I think it's just the way life is. Hopefully, we are all growing and therefore changing constantly. Sometimes, we go through vibrant spurts of growth. Other times, we cruise slowly ahead. And then there are the occasional backsteps and dismal low points. It's hard to find people who will be with you through all of it. I cherish the friends who have been there through thick and thin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments. I know lots of people but very few close friends. The close friends tend to transcend geography and it doesn't matter that you haven't spoken in awhile. With true friendships it's definitely quality over quantity. But it takes a huge commitment to get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was really interested in this article. I have had this experience more than once and felt devastated at how someone I trusted could do this.

    I can tell you that it also happens in heterosexual relationships. A former partner became very difficult and obstructive when i had the chance to study opera. In the end i gave up the opportunity. (I used to come home to find my young child uncared for and other such things that made me feel guilty for going out). Quite some time later he admitted he was jealous of me. He said he didn't want to be married to a woman who was more successful than he and he thought i was more naturally gifted than he (Funnily enough he had music qualifications coming out of his ears (Almost!) and I always supported him in his career thinking he was talented. I realised that soon after our marriage he began making many negative inferences and statements about my voice, appearance, intelligence etc until I gradually lost more and more confidence. I felt devastated that someone who was supposed to love me and be the closest to me could do such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I didn't realize when I wrote this that it would strike a chord with so many people (no pun intended). Some people have an odd definition for love, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow this is a amazing piece of words on words which has really touched me I have tears rolling down my face. the words are so true and memories came flooding back

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your comments, it's humbling to know that what I wrote had such an impact. I hope you will continue reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete