Thursday 10 June 2010

Banana bread I can eat

No wheat, no dairy, no sugar.  That's my mantra these days.  The dairy is lactose intolerance so I pretty much have no choice there.  The wheat and the sugar is more voluntary.  Unpleasant things happen when I eat them but it is not tragic like it is with dairy.  So I try and stay away.  Now for someone whose favourite activity was afternoon tea, the new diet is a tragedy.  But I am willing to forgo the teas because I feel so much better.  I had a couple of friends over for lunch today to try out a new recipe.  They were very complimentary but what really got raves was the banana bread I made from some too ripe bananas I had sitting around.  The lunch is long consumed but here is a photo of the banana bread which doesn't look that sexy on its own.



D and V, here is the recipe:

Banana Bread - makes 1 8" cake round or the equivalent loaf pan
180 degree oven
50 minutes to bake

Wet ingredients
3/4 cup melted soya spread
3/4 cup agave syrup
2 eggs (room temperature)
1.5 tsp vanilla extract

Dry ingredients
2 cups Dove's Farm gluten and wheat free Plain white flour blend.
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 cup well mashed ripe bananas soaked in 1 cup orange/mango juice

1. Beat wet ingredients in large bowl beginning with agave and soya spread, add eggs one at a time.  Add vanilla and beat until light in colour.
2.  Take dry ingredients and sift together twice.
3.  Add dry ingredients and banana mush alternately to the wet ingredients beginning and ending with dry.  After each addition, mix gently to combine but do not beat or otherwise overmix - this toughens and dries a cake.
4.  Generously soya spread an 8" cake round or equivalent loaf pan and pour batter in and bake.
5.  Cool 10 minutes in the pan and then remove to finish cooling.

adapted from the Moosewood Cook book by Molly Katzen
sorry about the mixed fractions and decimals in the ingredients list.  I can't find the symbols list on blogger.

A slice of this with a cup of Rooibos Chocolate Chai and I can have my own afternoon tea.  Try it, you'll never mistake it for regular banana bread, but it's good on its own merits.

1 comment: