Tuesday 8 June 2010

Weekend in New York

Just got back from a whirlwind weekend in New York.  It has been at least 3 years since I was last there.  It still feels like home even though we haven't lived there in almost 20 years.  I went to college there where I met my husband, worked there and had two kids while living in Brooklyn.  After we moved out to the burbs, I didn't go in nearly as often as I would have liked and so stopped identifying myself with New York.  But then we moved overseas and New York became our base while the kids were little.  But as they grew older, there was less and less reason to spend time there and that is how we ended up in this current situation of not having been in several years. 

We have good friends from college, some of whom we've stayed in close touch with and many we remember fondly but haven't seen in awhile.  So a 30th college reunion seemed like a great excuse to catch up with some people we hadn't seen in a long time.  Our friend B is a great organiser, calling out to classmates who had been such close friends at one point, to come together and reunite.  A group of us made it to New York for the weekend and it was a wonderful occasion.  There were a couple of friends I hadn't seen in I'm not sure how long and it was great to reconnect.  We went to college in the late 70's, early 80's and it was a great time to be young.  30 years later, we had all taken different paths but the strength of friendships formed so long ago made it seem like we had just seen each other.  Not everyone that B contacted could come, but the ripple effect was there just the same. Thanks to e mail and social media, we are reconnected.  We left vowing to stay in touch and promising to come together again in 5 years time.  

2 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful! I went to my 10-year reunion last summer, and I was so disappointed by how many friends didn't attend. I am hoping for a better showing at 15. Life does get crazy, and as people have children and move around, it's hard to keep in touch. I do love being able to trade pictures on Facebook at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to my own 5th year and it was disappointing since everyone was pretty much the same as college. 30 years later, it's a bit different. I may go to my own next year.

    ReplyDelete