Thursday 25 March 2010

Week in limbo

Got back on Sunday after a very pleasant flight.  There were gale force winds in Tokyo when we took off and thanks to that, we landed about 50 minutes early.  I was thinking about how long it's been since flying 12 hours to see family has been my norm.  Certainly since university when my family returned to Tokyo and I stayed on in New York to finish my education.  I was surprised they allowed me to stay but perhaps my appeal to graduate with the same class I started with seemed a reasonable request.  Anyway, since 1978, some form of family has always been 10-12 hours away.  There have been many changes to the travel over the years, we no longer need to stop in Anchorage to refuel between Tokyo and New York, the economy class seats just keep getting smaller and security is ever more annoying.  But the amount of time spent in the air and the excitement of being in a familiar place that's also different hasn't changed.  Tokyo, New York and now London are three places where I will always feel like I've come home.

So, I've been spending the week in front of my computer, getting caught up on things I missed while I was away and working away on my cooking class plans.  I brought home a new rice cooker so I've been trying it out.   This one has many settings including brown rice so I no longer have to make brown rice on the stove.  This may not be that exciting to you but for me, being able to walk away and come back to perfectly cooked brown rice is very exciting.

Both kids come home this weekend so I can try out some more recipes on them.  Cooking is really big in Japan right now so I acquired a lot of  new material, can't wait to experiment.

Hopefully I can get something done by the end of the week and out about the classes.  Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment