Thursday 11 March 2010

Two Great Days



Ok, so I admit, my last post was a bit whiny.  But I have just had two action packed days which were just the opposite of my endless days in front of the tube.

Now first off, the weather improved markedly today.  But I am getting ahead of myself.  Let's start with yesterday.  I spent the day with my very good friend C.  We've been friends for about 12 years I think and have shared many laughs and good times.  We went to a shop near the Ginza which if you've never been to Tokyo, it is hard to imagine (the shop, not Ginza).  I think it started life as a camera shop, but to call it a camera shop is like calling Costco a food store.  They sell the standard electronic things like cameras, tvs, phones, and appliances like washing machines and toaster ovens.  But they also have a  book department, interior department, golf gear and so much more.  We spent a good half hour trying on headphones and didn't get through a quarter of the display.  The store really appeals to the my inner geek and I bought some things which will make my laptop happier when I get home.

From there, we went to lunch.  Many Tokyoites are foodies and there are many restaurants that cater for every budget and every taste.  I even saw an Ethiopian restaurant this trip not far from my parents' place and where they are is pretty suburban.  Anyway, we chose a restaurant we had eaten in before, which serves great dishes from Kyoto, heavy on the veggies and very pretty.  Here is a not great picture of my lunch.  I would have had to stand up to get a better angle and that was a little too embarrassing.



From there, we went to my other favourite store, where they sell all kinds of things having to do with life - stationary, storage, lunch boxes, kitchen gadgets, I could get lost for hours and pretty much did.  Then she had me over to her new flat and having just done battle with 120+ boxes myself, I thought their place was coming along very nicely.

Then drinks with S whom I haven't seen since we left Tokyo almost 9 years ago.  It was great to catch up, the time just flew by.  But that was not the end of my evening.  Dinner with another friend, M,  whom I met in London.  She now lives in Tokyo and knows some of the same people I knew, it's a small world.  We went to a lovely Kyoto restaurant (my day for Kyoto food, but who's complaining).  My mom is friends with the chef/owner's mom and it is easy to be supportive since the food is fabulous.  Here is a photo:




Now, I did mention that today was fabulous, weather wise.  It was bright and sunny, not too cold.  My mom surprised me by saying she thought we should take a trip to Yokohama to have my aura photographed.  So the three of us went off after lunch and it was a fun experience.  They give you a massive print out about what it all means which I haven't read yet.  But Yokohama has changed a lot since the last time I was there.  There are now converted warehouses which have shops and an event space.  Of course the real estate obsessive in me thought, "what a waste, better to turn them into condos, look at the great windows.".  You can't really see from the photo but this is a proper warehouse with walls about 2' thick. and heavy cast iron doors.



We then headed towards Moto Machi, an area of shops which was the chic place to shop in Yokohama when I was younger.  We tried to hail a cab, but had a hard time finding one and I saw one going the other way.  I tried the London trick of asking him to make a U turn and sure enough, it worked and we got a ride.  Had a lovely stroll through Moto Machi then, over the bridge to Chinatown.  Tokyo Chinatown is pretty big and they have had a renaissance in the last 15 years or so.  It was very bustling with many impressive looking restaurants.  We had a great dinner in a private room of a well known restaurant, I think they only had private rooms, 4 floors worth in fact.  That was fun and the service was amazing.  We headed back to the train, got a little lost and ended up walking an extra train stop.  Now my parents don't walk much anymore and we had done our fair share already.  But they made it to the train and home.  I looked at the pedometer I always carry and we had walked almost 9000 steps.  I think they said on a big outing, they walk 3000.  I hope they continue to get out as the weather improves, walking in the city is so much fun.

This has turned into a monster post so I am going to sign off now.  But another fun day awaits tomorrow, good night.

2 comments:

  1. Reading your blog brings back so many memories and makes me realize I still miss so much about Japan; food, stationary, browsing department stores, walking, public transport ... Glad your weather improved and you got out and about. I wrote a long reply to your previous post but hit the wrong button (or selected the wrong choice) so it disappeared. I understand the problems of balancing time with parents and time with friends - when i am in England any day i do not spend either in Cornwall or with my mother is duly noted... hence i rarely go to London. Tony and I travel to visit our families separately as it is easier than balancing time between the two - besides I like to stay longer than he does.
    Enjoy the rest of your time in Japan - i look forward to seeing more food pictures!! Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Emma, it really is nice to be back, things have changed a lot in the nine years. It would be fun to have a mass reunion some time, maybe all the moms can tag along one day to a NIS reunion? I may be more into it than my kids.

    ReplyDelete