Tuesday 9 March 2010

Thoughts from home part 2

So, I'm still here, visiting my parents.  This is something I have done for the last couple of years, visiting by myself and staying for a couple of weeks.  I have found as my parents get older, it is easier for them if we don't all descend on them at once.  Also, they live in a pretty standard Japanese condo so I think at this point, a visit from all 4 of us would cause their house to explode.

I love being in Tokyo and visiting with friends and going back to the places I used to frequent when we lived here.  That of course is in direct conflict with spending time with my parents.  So every year, I risk my mom's wrath and spend lots of time catching up with friends.  But this year, I made the radical decision to come home to spend time with my parents.  So I find myself on a rainy Tuesday, sitting in their living room watching endless TV, telling myself that I am not wasting time.  To put off temptation, I really didn't let too many people know I was coming and I made sure to tell my friends that the primary purpose was to hang with my parents.  Many of my friends are in a similar situation with aging parents and everyone is very understanding.

What I had hoped to do was eat in the many wonderful places Tokyo has to offer and take photos and put them up here.  Well, eating is not high on my parents' priority and travelling to eat is really not a part of it.  Frankly with the exchange rate being what it is, that's probably a good thing.  Tomorrow I am seeing a very good friend and we will have a nice lunch together and I am seeing a different friend for dinner so there may be hope for some photos.  On the plus side, this has been a very mellow trip and my parents actually seem to enjoy our time together.

There probably won't be that many more opportunities for me to feel like a kid again, both in a good and bad way.  I am planning to enjoy it while it lasts.  I wonder if I will treat my kids like children when they are 50, I hope not. Relationships are very different between us and the next generation so I guess we will find our own way to annoy them.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts, Hiromi. It makes me feel like there aren't quite so many miles between us. Enjoy your time with your parents and please give them my best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Em, I appreciate the comment coming from a real writer. I think it's so cool that your mom and I are connected on FB. See you in a couple of weeks, I hope.

    ReplyDelete