Monday 15 March 2010

Death by Food

OMG I am sooo full.  I was treated to an exceptional dinner this evening by my old friend M.  He was my first boss and it is great that we have stayed friends.

The dinner was a very special experience starting with the entrance.  You would never know it is a restaurant from the outside.  Of course in retrospect I should have taken photos of everything, but instead you just get my raves.  The interior is very modern, very sparse but with much wood, giving it a warm feel.  We sat down at the counter, and that's when the party started.  Just one dish after another of exquisite seasonal food.  Everything was so incredible that I forgot to pay attention to my stomach.  Apparently it was getting quite full.  I probably should have stopped before the rice, but how can you resist when it comes with salmon roe, mullet roe and seaweed that you add yourself?  And did I mention the two desserts?

It was great to catch up and have a few laughs in such an amazing place.  But I seriously thought I was going to explode on the way home.  I managed to make it back in one piece and have finally digested to the point where I think I can go to sleep.  Thanks so much for a lovely evening, the food truly was magical.

Tomorrow,  I'm off for a couple of days in Kyushu, an area in southern Japan.  I've never been and I'm looking forward to it very much.  We are going to stay in an onsen ryokan which is well known for their food.  We also plan to visit the potteries in Arita and Imari. I hope I can resist the bargains on offer, I have to keep reminding myself I just sent 3 boxes of my mom's dishes back to London.  But you know, none of it was Arita or Imari so we'll just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment